BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Monday 7 June 2010

Still Standing...

In case anyone’s wondering whether this project has foundered and been abandoned, I can assure you it hasn’t. I’m still on with the behemoth that is The Stand. At about 1400 pages, it was always going to be a tough nut to crack. My progress has been further hindered by making my way through all four seasons of Dexter, a revival of my lasting obsession with Korean film and, latterly, now it’s all over with and out there, watching the complete final series of Lost in as few sittings as our children will allow.


There’s also the fact that I’ve dusted off my guitar for an intended revival of Heroes for Sale activities http://www.myspace.com/hfsrockyourworld, ongoing writing projects for the The Sinner’s Guide http://www.sinnersguide.org.uk/ and a new project I’m on with doing research for.
Excuses, excuses. I know.

Anyway, I’ve passed the half-way mark and am doing my best to crack on with it, sidelining other ventures for a few days. As for the book so far, it’s slow going. And that’s not just my progress. The plot’s a serious slow-burner, but with a 520,000 word count (according to a couple of websites) it was never going to be wall to wall action and terror.

Despite my slow progress hindering the natural accumulation of tension etc. and at times feeling like an endless slog, I’m into it and looking forward to getting to the real meat of the story and know that such a long, detailed and considered build-up can only be equalled with a phenomenal payoff.

At least I hope so.

Apologies for the title. I'm no doubt hurtling to the top of the Pun Police's hitlist.

Currently listening to:
From Ashes Rise - Everything
Disfear - Live the Storm
Black Breath - Heavy Breathing
Moving Mountains - Pneuma
Moonlit Sailor - So Close to Life

No comments:

Post a Comment