BEWARE OF SPOILERS

Monday 22 March 2010

'Salem's Lot - 1979 TV mini-series

I’m definitely going against Marcus’ advice and running a King Long View alongside this reading project.



I’ll be honest and say that I found it hard to get past how dated it looks. It’s so seventies it hurts and I can’t begin to imagine where the $4 million budget went. Presumably on James Mason’s wage. Not to mention it has got David Soul in it. Aside from the fact that he can’t act and has the most preposterous hair and those glasses, I always pictured Ben Mears as younger and more virile.


Barlow’s appearance was almost equally strange. He was blue and what were those teeth?


I’m entirely willing to acknowledge that I missed something and let Soul and its datedness get in the way of an objective viewing, particularly as a self-professed film aficionado friend (particularly vampire films, it would seem) listed it in his all-time top 5 vampire films.


James Mason was great, though. I’m only just realising how ashamed I should be of myself that I have hardly seen any of his films. I know!! I only saw Kubrick’s Lolita the other week!


Anyway, it made me want to read the book again. So, I’ve got hold of the audiobook so I can listen to it without interrupting my reading progress. Sweet.


I’ve also procured Carrie, read by Sissy Spacek and The Shining, read by Campbell Scott. How fucking cool is that! Campbell Scott is the bomb. If you haven’t seen Roger Dodger, make sure you do. Jesse Eisenberg’s in it as well.


I don’t know if I’ve said on here previously that I always keep an iPod full of audiobooks to feed my book hunger, but as long as this project runs, it’s my way of ‘reading’ things other than Stephen King. In this respect, though, it means I can read the books again while continuing the mission.


So, anyway, I’ll go back to basics soon enough and revisit ‘Salem’s Lot for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment